Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Bricking up an external door

Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
When you are bricking up an external door are you supposed to "open
up" and expose the existing wall cavity or do you just brick up the
gap (with it's own cavity)?

You probably will find the cavity exists anyway on a modernish house
right up to the frame.

I would definitely open it up and remove alternate half bricks etc to
get a good continuos cavity and brick key. But then it would be my
house.

Yes - it's not hard.

Angle grinder (really! ;- ) to cut the mortar between the half
bricks, and remove. You can key both sides in an hour or less. Hammer
and bolster would work too but not quite as quick.

I guess that there is already some sort of vertical DPM in place around the
door.

Opening up the cavity is no big deal.

I will need to hold back the existing cavity wall insulation whilst cutting
back. I believe that it will be a wool filled insulation.

They will be... Metal strip if you're lucky (though that is a fairly
strong solution) or a couple of nails banged in if they are really
cheap *******s.

It might be the metal strips for the external part of the wall. It is not
brick but concrete bricks. The idea is to brick up the old door and then
render the new brickwork to look like it was concrete bricks.

--
Adam