Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Flat-panel TV on old TV cabinet

wrote in
:

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 17:48:22 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

On 10/2/2010 5:30 PM, gcotterl wrote:
How can I mount a new flat-panel TV on the front of the cabinet of a
1980's-era TV (with a cathode-ray picture tube)? (I've already taken
the old TV out of the cabinet).

Put one of those fake electric fireplace things in the hole where the TV
used to be, and set the flat-screen on top.
( :^/, of course )

Serious answer- time to junk the old console, or convert it into a
minibar, or something. I've seen kludges like you are proposing, and
they all looked like crap. You can never get the trim you add to look
like the original factory finish.

The BIG problem is the aspect ratio is oftendifferent.
I HAVE seen some nice conversions, with the new unit installed from
the back and supported using the wall-bracket screws into timber or
plywood "web" to hold it in place. It would have to be a pretty
special cabinet to make it worth the hassle in my opinion.

he could cut a piece of 3/4" particle board,MDF,or plywood to fit (recessed
a few inches)inside where the TV used to be,paint it black,and mount his
bracket to that panel. He might want to drill some holes for p.cord,cables
and air circulation.Maybe even a whisper fan for better air circ,improving
the life of the electronics.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik