Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Flat-panel TV on old TV cabinet

On 10/2/2010 6:26 PM, gcotterl wrote:
On Oct 2, 2:48 pm, wrote:
On 10/2/2010 5:30 PM, gcotterl wrote:

How can I mount a new flat-panel TV on the front of the cabinet of a
1980's-era TV (with a cathode-ray picture tube)? (I've already taken
the old TV out of the cabinet).

Put one of those fake electric fireplace things in the hole where the TV
used to be, and set the flat-screen on top.
( :^/, of course )

Serious answer- time to junk the old console, or convert it into a
minibar, or something. I've seen kludges like you are proposing, and
they all looked like crap. You can never get the trim you add to look
like the original factory finish.
--
aem sends...

The old console is a good-looking piece of furniture which would
accomodate a new flat-panel TV better than holding a fake fireplace or
being converted to a minibar.

If your heart is set on keeping it, find some cabinet-grade plywood that
matches as close as you can, and line the open spot to make it look like
a shelf. Don't forget vent and cable holes in the back. Take your best
shot in the Minwax aisle at the Borg, for a matching shade of gel stain
to rub on. Or possibly make a slightly-inset panel for the hole, and
mount the new TV on a shallow wall mount. I'm having trouble picturing a
modern wide TV that would fit in the hole where an old 4:3 aspect TV
used to sit, unless the screen is a lot smaller. (I see a LOT of very
fancy entertainment centers sitting by the curb, for that very reason.)
And i still think you will have trouble trimming out the front edges
where old wood meets new, and getting it to look right. But what the
heck, it won't cost too much, and it will be an educational experience.
Post pictures on one of the picture sites when you are done, and put a
link back here. I'm kinda curious at this point how you make out.

--
aem sends...