Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default building regulations: bedroom windows

Gareth wrote:
Not strictly DIY but I'm sure people here will know the answer.

Do bedroom windows have to have an opening at least 600mm wide?

At least one does, yes, unless there is some other way to escape.

The reason I ask is that I had a couple of people round to give me
quotes for some replacement windows. The first bloke, an experienced
chap from a local firm, said I couldn't do what I wanted because the
regs state that bedroom windows need to have an opening of at least
600mm for an escape route. The second chap, a young bloke with shiny
suit from a large national firm, didn't seem to know anything about this
rule.

That doesnt surprise me in the slightest.
Assuming the 1st bloke is correct, other than the increased risk of
burning to death, what would be the downside if ignoring the regs?

The BCO can force you to have a suitable window fitted. At your
considerable expense. If picked up in a survey, it will also result in a
downward negotiation on price when selling.

I would p[point out that the fire regulations are drawn up not by
government ministers, but by professional architects and fire officers
who understand what its like to see someone suffocate to death in a
house whilst they are in a ladder outside, with no hope of getting in to
rescue them.

Thanks for any information.

Gareth