Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Fender Showman from 1963

On 23/09/2010 02:18, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 22/09/2010 17:39, N_Cook wrote:

Closer look and the cotton covering to the wiring between the output
heaters
is "perished", crumbling to dust, and needs replacing. Strange having
a load
of Mullard, Brimar and Z&I Aero valves to test

Z&I Aero!!! I haven't heard that name for over 40 years. That was when
their shop in Tottenham Court Road was worth visiting, followed by a
stroll to Proops, and then onto Lisle Street. Are there any surplus
places worth visiting today?

--

Jeff

I still have a Z&I Aero (Zaerix) glossy covered catalogue / data book in
near pristine condition. It has data on lovely old things like VCR97
'scope tubes, and has all the prices in pounds, shillings and pence ! Oh
those lovely old days of skiving off school for the day and jumping on
the train to London to go to Tottenham Court Road and Lisle Street. Into
Henry's Radio ... I bought my first 'hifi' amplifier in Proops. It's a
Teleton SAQ-307. It's here in the computer room with me, and I'm looking
at it right now. Still works as good as the day it was bought. Only
about 8 watts per channel as I recall, but punched way above that
weight. It drives my EMI 13 x 8 cabs with 7 x 5 mids and Eagle dome
tweeters. The EMIs came from Henry's and the Eagles from Maplin I think,
but might have been Tandy (Radio Shack). I also have the matching
Teleton GT-203 tuner, and then the Nikko ND-790 cassette deck. Remember
those ? All together, it was the classic "poor man's" hifi rig of the
early 70s.

I think most of the wonderful old junk shops have pretty much gone now,
but I think that Anchor Supplies up in Nottingham is still going.
Remember AH Supplies ? They used to advertise every month in Practically
Witless magazine, and I bought a lot of ex WW2 radios like 19 sets and
an R1392 and a Wavemeter D from them. I have a feeling that they might
still be going in one form or another. I'm also pretty sure that
Birketts over in Lincoln somewhere are still going too. Then there was
John's Radio, and Bull Electrical. Happy days ... Blimey. I've just
looked up John's Radio, and they are still going !

Arfa

Teleton SAQ-307! yes I had one o them. Marvelous amplifier, didn't it
have some unusual feature for it's day, slider control or something?
I had mine in my shop driving a stack consiting of a 15" Gauss in a
home made Altec Voice of the Theatre copy, a 12" Gauss VotT copy and a
whopping great Vitavox multicell horn (courtesy of the recently closed
local ODEON). No electronic crossovers in those days!
Even tho it was only a few watts, it could visibly make the shop window
shake in time to the music (Dark Side of the Moon - Most impressive)

Ron(UK)

Get the free SPAMfighter he http://www.spamfighter.com/len