Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Fender Showman from 1963

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 22/09/2010 17:39, N_Cook wrote:

Closer look and the cotton covering to the wiring between the output
heaters
is "perished", crumbling to dust, and needs replacing. Strange having a
load
of Mullard, Brimar and Z&I Aero valves to test

Z&I Aero!!! I haven't heard that name for over 40 years. That was when
their shop in Tottenham Court Road was worth visiting, followed by a
stroll to Proops, and then onto Lisle Street. Are there any surplus
places worth visiting today?

--

Jeff

I still have a Z&I Aero (Zaerix) glossy covered catalogue / data book in
near pristine condition. It has data on lovely old things like VCR97 'scope
tubes, and has all the prices in pounds, shillings and pence ! Oh those
lovely old days of skiving off school for the day and jumping on the train
to London to go to Tottenham Court Road and Lisle Street. Into Henry's Radio
.... I bought my first 'hifi' amplifier in Proops. It's a Teleton SAQ-307.
It's here in the computer room with me, and I'm looking at it right now.
Still works as good as the day it was bought. Only about 8 watts per channel
as I recall, but punched way above that weight. It drives my EMI 13 x 8 cabs
with 7 x 5 mids and Eagle dome tweeters. The EMIs came from Henry's and the
Eagles from Maplin I think, but might have been Tandy (Radio Shack). I also
have the matching Teleton GT-203 tuner, and then the Nikko ND-790 cassette
deck. Remember those ? All together, it was the classic "poor man's" hifi
rig of the early 70s.

I think most of the wonderful old junk shops have pretty much gone now, but
I think that Anchor Supplies up in Nottingham is still going. Remember AH
Supplies ? They used to advertise every month in Practically Witless
magazine, and I bought a lot of ex WW2 radios like 19 sets and an R1392 and
a Wavemeter D from them. I have a feeling that they might still be going in
one form or another. I'm also pretty sure that Birketts over in Lincoln
somewhere are still going too. Then there was John's Radio, and Bull
Electrical. Happy days ... Blimey. I've just looked up John's Radio, and
they are still going !

Arfa