Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default Fender Showman from 1963

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 15:23:05 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

Known history with this , from its purchase in Germany onwards,
including its original set of valves (not in there and used now, but
will test out of curiosity). What are the main potential
safety/reliability issues with an amp of this age? All the cotton
covered wiring looks good but is there some test/procedure more
convincing as to insualting value? Bakelite brittleness in the valve
bases? metallurgical failure of springiness of valve contacts?
Someone modified to 3 core mains cable and made an earth point, for 240V
land, at some point in its history. Numerous caps replaced in 1991 and
1997 and some carbon R replaced with MO at some point. I've not checked
the main caps yet.

No known safety issues other than mains wiring. These were pretty
reliable amps. I own a 1970 Showman USA model. Someone tried to turn it
into a 100 watt model by replacing the iron and adding two octals to the
already blanked out chassis. I ripped all that stuff out and put new
output iron in it. It's not worth much but it does sound sweet.