Posted to uk.d-i-y
John MacLeod John MacLeod is offline

Default Lidl Compressor

On Sep 10, 11:41*am, Roger Mills wrote:
Lidl have this compressorhttp://lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_13876.htmon offer
at £80 next Thursday.

Is it likely to be any good? [It's quite a lot cheaper than a (roughly)
equivalent jobbie from the likes of Machine Mart].

I've often toyed with the idea of having a compressor - so this looks
like a possible opportunity to 'stick my toe in the water'.

How many of you own one? How useful is it - particularly one of this size?

With compressors they can never have too much free air delivery or too
big a receiver :-).

I've just bought a new one -- the biggest I could get that would be on
wheels and would run off a 13 amp socket. 200 litre receiver and
huge starting capacitors and an automatic decompressor to allow an
easy start. And belt driven.

As has been pointed out to you, small compressors don't have much
puff. And direct-drive oilless compressors don't tend to last as
long. However, there are some jobs for which being able to bring the
compressor to the job is very important and providing the tool is
small and of low consumption, they'll do fine for occasional use.

Pneumatic nailers and (especially) staplers are brilliant tools.

As someone else has pointed out, air tools are delightful to handle,
cheap and generally quite well made. With no electric motor they're
compact and reliable.

The Lidl compressor is probably a good enough buy if you regard it as
a "taster" to see whether air tools are for you.

John MacLeod