Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Fiberglass or aluminum screen?

On Sep 7, 6:57*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Client wants me to replace her screen-door screen. I'm not sure whether
to use aluminum or fiberglass. What would you use, and why?

House is in Oakland, CA, mild climate. (It is exposed to PM sun.) The
old screen is AL and is literally in tatters in some places; I asked
owner how long ago it had been replaced, and they said 10 years ago,
which I find odd: how could aluminum screen deteriorate that much that
fast? I know that air pollution corrodes AL, but this is ridiculous. So
I'm thinking fiberglass. How long should it hold up here?

Screen wire is only about .011
It corrodes from "both sides", thus there is very little material
available to sacrifice.

I used to prefer aluminum because of stiffness & lack of added fabric
stretching stress on frame but even in SoCal longevity wasnt great.

I switched to fiber "shade screen" for south, east & west window;
standard charcoal

check out

www.metroscreenworks.com/

or in your area