Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default How to clean out compressor tank

I wouldn't worry about it one way or the other. If you are super
worried, remove the automatic bleeder on the bottom of the tank
and install a ball valve or similar. Pressure the tank until the
regulator on the compressor is happy. Close off the compressor.
Open that bottom ball valve and blow down. If you are worried
about mold, mildew, unknown bugs, etc., make up some bleach
water - about 5 water to 1 bleach, empty the tank, pour in a
gallon of the mixture, shake vigorously (yes, I'm kidding), and
pressurize and blow down.

I can't imagine anything in the tank being unsafe. You will be
compressing your own "dirty air", I doubt that the steel tank is
holding much in the way of residual nasties.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"mshaffer" wrote in message
Hi, I just bought a large air tank on ebay to use with my air
compressor. The guy said I should wash it out though before I
use it.
I'm kinda worried about what kind of chemicals might be in it
since it
came from an industrialized area. Is there anything I can use to
totally clean it out? Should I just use normal dish soap or is
there
something better?

Here is the tank:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT