Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Scrap Tungsten Prices?

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 21:02:27 -0500, Ignoramus4117

On 2010-09-02, Joe wrote:
On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 20:02:38 -0500, Ignoramus20906
wrote:

Be careful of scrap metal gypsies (they look like East indians from
India and sometimes speak with a slight funny accent). They know how
to screw people like you. Call a few scrap places. I would think that
you can get $10/lb. I can give you $5/lb if you arew local to Chicago.

Funny you mentioned that - the last time I sold any, the dealer was a
gypsy (he used the term "Roma"). I'm sure I got taken, but I did get
$5.25/lb. Probably about 5 years ago.

Did you use his scale?

*He* used his scale. His results were pretty much the same as what I
read off of my ancient Fairbanks scale.

He, like the other dealer before him, used a hand-held device to
determine the content of the scrap. I'm wanting to say it used X-ray
diffraction spectroscopy, but I don't think that is quite right. I do
remember looking up one of those devices, and the cost was about 30
grand. Not for the casual tinkerer.

Joe