Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus20906 Ignoramus20906 is offline

Default Scrap Tungsten Prices?

Be careful of scrap metal gypsies (they look like East indians from
India and sometimes speak with a slight funny accent). They know how
to screw people like you. Call a few scrap places. I would think that
you can get $10/lb. I can give you $5/lb if you arew local to Chicago.

On 2010-09-01, Joe wrote:
I have accumulated a decent quantity of scrap tungsten (wire, and pure
W) over a number of years, and I want to sell it, but there are very
few scrap metal dealers around who can cope with the stuff. More of
them know about tungsten carbide, but that isn't what I have.

Anyway, I have no idea what this stuff should bring per pound. I have
done searches till google is coming out my - well, you know... The
last time I sold this, I was at the mercy of the dealer for what it
was worth, and though I know all scrap metal guys are kind and totally
without avarice, I'd still like to know how well I'm faring with their
quote. Sorta gives me some room to negotiate, as it were.

A reasonable estimate is that I have about 400# of the stuff.

Does anyone have any idea what this should bring per pound, in the
quantities I have? I know the middleman has to make a profit - I just
don't feel he needs to make a killing at my expense. I'd be willing to
accept 50% of what he gets - seems fair to me.

Joe