Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Advice needed: Oil filter needed for oil furnace?

I'm about to get a final price for a new oil furnace.

Need I make sure that they will install an oil filter in the line from
the in-the-basement oil tank? For the last 31 years, since the house
was new, there hasn't been one, and that doesn't seem to have caused
any problems. They always leave the old oil nozzle behind and it's
never dirty on the surface, plus I never had to get service because
the nozzle was clogged. (they have their own built in filters)

But I know, at least I think, some people have oil filters.

Is there any other special or needed request I should make (so that I
don't find out later I needed something but it wasn't included) for
the oil furnace or the Air Conditioning.

Something they might want extra money for it after they casually cause
me to think of it during the install? (Do you want the
rodent-protected air-intake?, for example.)

No one bolts the compressor unit to the cement pad, right?** I don't
need a new cement pad do I if the current one isn't cracked?

**The unit has gradually moved a couple inches off the pad, but in
another 31 years, I'll probably be dead.