Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default pulling OUT trees with a winch?

" fired this volley in news:3643d84b-
:

Do not cut the tree down first and then try to pull the stump out.

ACHU-Lee... we do it that way down in the cracker flats.

There's a simple, old way to "pop" even big taproot stumps that really
works well.

It takes a team of mules... but I guess you could use a tractor.

A length (about 30-40') of light-gauge rail was used... but I guess you
could use any metal bar heavy enough or even a larger diameter tree
trunk. Betcha they used a trunk early-on.

One end of the long "popper" bar was chained to the stump so that it
winds and tightens as the free end of the bar is walked in a circle
around the stump. After a time, the stump almosts JUMPS out of the
ground from the twisting action.

I've done it on up to 10" stumps with a 30' piece of rail. It took a lot
of throttle just to move the rail, but it took the stump out like it was
a piece of balsa.

LLoyd