Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney Wayne Whitney is offline

Default Replacing the bearings on a front-loading washer

On 2010-08-11, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

What was wrong with the shocks that they needed replacing too?

One of them was cracked where it attaches to the bottom of the case.
I decided to replace them both for good measure.

BTW, when we had the control module replaced under warranty, the
service guy said that replacing the tub is a two-person job costing
almost as much as a new washer.

Sears would have done it for me for $129 flat labor plus around $170
for the rear tub half. At the time I wasn't 100% sure what was wrong
with it, so I decided to disassemble it myself.

I hope that I can manage the job on my own -- as you did -- but I'll
need help to get the dryer down from on top and put it back.

Yeah, I could have used a second person for moving the stack out of
the closet, unstacking the dryer, and then moving the washer to an
area with workspace on all sides.

After that you probably won't need a second person. I disassembled
the machine the way the service manual suggested, not sure if the
thread I referenced follows that procedure. The drum assembly is very
heavy and most of the weight of the washer, because of the tub, metal
basket and the concrete counterweights. The procedure involves
disconnecting everything from the drum except the top spring supports,
tipping the washer on its back (watch the drum, it sweighs now),
disconnecting the springs, and then lifting the case off the drum
assembly. That way you never have to handle the full weight of the
machine.

Cheers, Wayne