Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gareth[_3_] Gareth[_3_] is offline

Default Removing ceramic tiles from Plasterboard walls?

On 05/08/2010 22:55, John Rumm wrote:
On 05/08/2010 21:38, Gareth wrote:

Does anyone have any tips for removing ceramic tiles from plasterboard
walls?

For what purpose?

Currently my bathroom is tiled ~halfway up the walls on all four walls.
This is not high enough to prevent water getting onto untiled parts of
the wall when taking a shower, I would therefore like to remove the
tiles and tile all the way up to the ceiling around the bath. The
current tiles are also a bit too dark for my liking.

If they are well stuck and you want to re-tile, then
abrade them with coarse glass paper and tile over.

Thanks, a good suggestion if all the area I wanted to tile was already
tiled but with the way it is currently this would result in a small step
1/2 way up the wall.

To remove, you may have luck with a SDS tile chisel. At best the wall
will probably need a reskim, at worst new plasterboard!