Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_2_] Jim K[_2_] is offline

Default fitting cooker hood

On 2 Aug, 19:46, sm_jamieson wrote:
I will be fitting a cooker hood (not done one before). I guess it will
be one with a squarish brushed metal riser. Some questions:

1. Is the fan usually integrated into the hood, or is it above the
hood in the riser, or in the ceiling ?

all depends on the design! our current is a Stoves which teh hood part
is abt 30mm thick the works are in the lower part of the riser.

Others, especially with triangular hoods the gubbins will usually be
within the triangle as you look

If you have the resources (incl. time), consider "remotely sited fans"
that lead back to just the grease filters above your hob etc - mucho
quiet even on high speeds. De dietrich (and others I am sure) did some
when I last looked into this 10yrs ago - gasp!!

Some ordinary yet expensive "designer" hoods I've seen n heard at
friends houses are not used even on the lowest settings cos of the
racket/vibration/embarassment caused (unless absolutely necessary....)

Cheers
Jim K