Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Aglionby Adam Aglionby is offline

Default Cheap Cardboard shredder

On 3 Aug, 14:19, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 00:51:53 +0100, geoff wrote:
Our Local council is making noises in the cardboard collection direction

Ours (round the corner from yours) has recently taken to allowing a
very (seemingly) mixed range of stuff in the big recycling bin. This
includes (only shredded) paper, cardboard, cooked / uncooked *fish,
meats, bones etc, grass, hedge cuttings and fallen leaves, tea coffee
etc. [1]

What do they do with that then, bio fuel / gas?

Paper, tin, glass, plastic bottles go in the other (smaller) bin.

Cheers, T i m

[1] They suggest you place all leftover food in an old cereal box or
on some newspaper before putting in the big bin. We don't eat enough
cereal and have a sign on the door saying 'no free papers' ... ;-(
Having said that we don't waste much food either. ;-)

p.s. My missus remembers reading somewhere that they don't want the
tin lids in with the tins (or plastic bottle tops)? She proved this by
putting a couple in the box and they were left by the collectors? To
save space I was considering cutting the bottom off the tins (as well)
and then flattening them with my size 10 but then that would be the
top /and/ the bottom they wouldn't take? It can't be because it's a
different material and you wouldn't think it's because they have a
sharp edge (some openers leave the tin with a sharper edge) so anyone
know why please?

Know somone in the wast...recyclable collection business.

He dosen`t have a yard, his vans go out empty and return empty, as he
says he is not interested in rubbish , everything he collects is
recycled and he gets paid to collect and paid for the materials he
delivers to recyclers.

Offices are his best customers, lot of young staff not keen on land
fill, give them different bins and they even self sort the plastics
for him.

It`s all got a value if you have enough of it sorted;

http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/paper/

Guessing food waste ,along with shredded paper which is too short
fibre to recycle, could be for composting.

Dunno about tins of bottle tops though , have wondered myself.

Cheers
Adam