Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default How is my conservatory door fixed in place?

harry wrote:
On 30 July, 08:13, harry wrote:
On 29 July, 16:48, "Mr UPVC" Mr wrote:

The frame of my conservatory door is not quite square at present,
and the hinges don't offer enough adjustment to compensate. I would
like to lower one corner of the door frame, but I can't figure out
how it's held in place.

I lifted the doors off their hinges, removed the masonry fixings
between the door frame and the dwarf walls, and removed the spacers
between the door sill and the bricks underneath the door. There is
some space between the door sill and the bricks, so it ought to be
possible to lower the door frame, but even when I jumped up and
down on the door frame, it didn't drop at all.
There no other visible fixings in the door frame or the adjacent
window frames that could be holding it in place, so what's
supporting it?
There are some vertical trim strips between the door and window
frames, but I think I'd need to remove part of the roof to slide
them out, so hopefully that won't be necessary.

Here are some pictures:

http://i26.tinypic.com/13zsuap.jpght...m/2z50j1v.jpgh...

It looks like there may be fixings in the upper window as per
above the top window. There is often a "ring beam" around
conservatories at wall top level. Especially where there is no tie
at high "eves" level . This is to contain the spreading effect of
the roof. Everything is secured to this .- Hide quoted text -

The ring beam is above the windows, not above the dwarf wall :-)

Thought so, otherwise you'd have to leap over it each time you went through
the door :-p

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008