Posted to uk.d-i-y
chunkyoldcortina chunkyoldcortina is offline

Default Installing a vented tumble dryer

On 29/07/10 17:39, Bear wrote:
On Jul 29, 5:32 pm, wrote:
On 29/07/10 17:12, Bear wrote:

Luckily my tumble dryer (once purchased) can sit aside an external
wall in the utility room. Question is, how do I bore a hole through
the wall of reasonable size? I'm handy with a drill, but the last
vented dryer I saw required a hole around 6 - 9 inches in diameter!

You can get brick-shaped vents as well as round ones. They usually have an
adapter to fit a round hose on the internal side and either a brick shape or
square external vent.

Wow - didn't know that. So basically just crack the plaster, locate a
brick or two to remove and fit?

Yup.

Many years ago I bought a tumble dryer vent kit from homebase or b&q which
contained hose, one of these adapters, rectangular rigid ducting to go
through the wall, and external flapped vent. All it needed in addition was a
bit of duct tape. The tumble dryer was in an external single-skin outhouse
converted to a utility room so it took all of about 45 mins with a bolster
chisel and hammer to chisel out a brick, fit the external vent, cut the duct
to length and fit the internal adapter. Painted all exposed brick with dilute
PVA and then I filled in around the gaps with mastic which also adhered
everything to the wall. Used duct tape to fix the hose to the adapter and to
the tumble dryer outlet. Robert's your mother's brother.

If you have a double-skin wall you can get flexible rectangular ducting
should the bricks not be totally aligned.

Various standalone bits & pieces here

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?fh_view_size=10&fh_reffacet=categories&fh_ location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9 372182}&fh_refview=search&fh_search=rectangular+du ct&fh_refpath=facet_159016185&fh_eds=%C3%9F&ts=128 0421054469