Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bear[_3_] Bear[_3_] is offline

Default Installing a vented tumble dryer

On Jul 29, 10:26*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:12:27 -0700, Bear wrote:
Luckily my tumble dryer (once purchased) can sit aside an external wall
in the utility room. Question is, how do I bore a hole through the wall
of reasonable size? I'm handy with a drill, but the last vented dryer I
saw required a hole around 6 - 9 inches in diameter!

What's the wall made of? For putting our dryer into the basement, I used
an SDS drill and combination of foot-long 1/2" drill and foot-long 1"
wide chisel bit to go through the 9" or so of concrete; I drilled a
series of holes along the perimeter of the intended opening (around 1"
apart) and then used the chisel bit to clear everything out.

Not sure I'd fancy doing that with brick, though - too much vibration
maybe.

For wooden walls / plasterboard just drill a pilot hole and use a
jigsaw...

Sadly it's world war two bunker concrete!