Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Celotex for expansion joints?

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
Regarding the use of expansion joints in the basement, I priced out
the "actual" stuff at around 40 cents a lineal foot for the 1/2"x4"
stuff. Then I got to thinking that Celotex is only $8.40 per SHEET
which will get me 88 feet, so only about a dime a foot. My question
is, will this do the same job as the real stuff? Thanks.
JP

May be OK indoors, but outdoors it would deteriorate fast from the weather.
Anything that allows movement will work. Indoors, there is little thermal
variation over the course of a year so anything may do the job, including
nothing. Variation indoors may be 30 degrees over the year while outdoors
it can be 100+ along with freezing water in joints.