Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default New fascia - cost?

Nitro® wrote:
I am considering new fascias due to rot at the corners
and a few other areas. Some extend no more than a foot
before becoming solid timber again and other areas more
than three feet. I don't think splicing in new wood would
be the best solution and it would entail a lot of sanding
and painting to match it all in.

The guttering is the culprit for most of the rot and peeling
of paint, the remainder is purely down to age and a lack
of maintenance by the previous owners.

The guttering will be sorted when new fascias are fitted, but
how much could I expect to pay for a 3 bed detached house?
I'd like wood again and not just clad the existing rot with
plastic. (Soffits are pretty much in good order).

You are talking about renewing the fascias and guttering in one go really.
It's not feasible to remove then re-use the existing guttering onto new
fascias.
upvc fascias (not coverboard) are approx £20 for 5m lengths.
Guttering is approx £8 for 4m lengths, fittings a few quid each and brackets
a quid a pop.

Working on these rough prices, if your house is 10m X 10m, per elevation you
will need:
2 lengths fascia = £40
3 lengths guttering = £24
fittings = £12
Brackets =£10

About £90 per elevation, plus:

2 boxes pvc headed stainless steel pins for fascia @ £7 = £14
Screws for guttering = £8

Approx £400 for materials, plus:

Without scaffolding, 2 men could do this in 3 days @ say £125 per day

You'd be lucky to get change out of £1200

Don't think about timber, it works out more expensive and the ****e we get
in this country now won't last 15 years, and this is provided you treat it
with preservative a few times and repaint bi-annually.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008