Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New fascia - cost?

In article fs12o.203580$9c1.65227@hurricane,
Nitro® writes:
I am considering new fascias due to rot at the corners
and a few other areas. Some extend no more than a foot
before becoming solid timber again and other areas more
than three feet. I don't think splicing in new wood would
be the best solution and it would entail a lot of sanding
and painting to match it all in.

The guttering is the culprit for most of the rot and peeling
of paint, the remainder is purely down to age and a lack
of maintenance by the previous owners.

The guttering will be sorted when new fascias are fitted, but
how much could I expect to pay for a 3 bed detached house?
I'd like wood again and not just clad the existing rot with
plastic. (Soffits are pretty much in good order).

Well, this is a DIY group, so I did my own. Front was done
about 3 months ago, the back about 5 years ago, and the front
bay and porch apron before even that (and still looks as good
as new).

Cladding existing rot is a disaster, and likely to make it rot
faster, and turn into something really serious. So either
replace with timber, or with uPVC. I used timber.

However, facia is just part of maintaining the gutterline,
and I would suggest you do the rest too. I temporarily removed
bottom 2 rows of tiles, ripped off facias, rot-proofed the
wall plate, rafter, and joist ends. (House has no soffits, so
in this case facia is fitted directly to side of wall plate.)
New facias were cut to size and temporarily nailed on to check fit.
Then removed to indoors, rot-proofed, primed, undercoat, topcoat.
Facias fitted, and eaves tray slid under the felt edge and fixed
to the rafters. (Good to check you have eves ventilation too.)
Tiles refitted. New gutters and downpipes fitted. I worked from
scaffolding, which was about £350 to have erected and removed,
and worth every penny. It also allowed for repainting the upstairs
windows.

BTW, buy the new timber facias many weeks beforehand, unwrap,
leave to dry and warp. I get about 2 usable pieces out of a
pack of 5. You can use the rest for boarding the loft, or
something similar.

--
Andrew Gabriel