Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham Jones[_3_] Graham Jones[_3_] is offline

Default Dropped bricks above window

On 16/07/2010 16:55, Phil L wrote:
Phil L wrote:

This said, it was shoddy practice for a short while in the 60's to
just build the external soldiers direclty on top of the frame, there
was a housebuilder called calderbank& fairhurst who built several
estates like this, needless to say they went out of buisness.

just read your other post about cracks etc and noticed that the house is 45
years old? not a good sign considering it was mid 60's that these cowboys
were operating...start ****ting bricks if any of the roads on your estate
contain the words 'calder', 'fair', 'hurst' or 'bank', they usually named
the roads after themselves or at least parts of their names were often used.

Even saying that, there were other housebuilders around at the time who
flung up these monstrosities, have a look around at neighbouring houses,
have they had brickwork replaced above the downstairs front window? -
usually in a triangle shape.

Yes it was built mid 60's, I think it was a Wimpey house. There was only
one place I could fit a screwdriver between frame and brick, all 6" of
the blade disappeared. I am pretty sure the bricks are right on the
frame as levering the screwdriver up and down moves the bricks and
causes the frame to creak.

have a look around at neighbouring houses, have they had brickwork

replaced above
the downstairs front window?

This is interesting as nearly all similar houses on the estate have had
some pointing in a triangular shape above the downstairs front window.
In fact it was mentioned in the surveyors report when we bought the
house. This seems OK though as it has not changed in the 10 years we
have been here.

Now the bricks have only moved dropped by at most 3mm, so this is either
after 45 years or after 9 years of the window replaced. So I am guessing
it is not a huge problem.

But the bricks are unsupported, so what are my options?

Thanks,

Graham