Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Discussion - Earthing a ring main 13A socket metal back-box

The Natural Philosopher
wibbled on Thursday 15 July 2010 18:18

BruceB wrote:

"Spike" wrote in message

So there's no code of practice that specifies exactly how the back-box
earth should be connected?
Spike

Correct, because as was stated in the first reply there is normally no
requirement to earth the back box.

Regards
Bruce

which is how you get a nice shock off the screws used to connect the
front plate to the back box.

Are you serious?

With the caveat of there being at least one fixed lug, he's right.
Accessories usually have earthed metal rings in the screwholes.

Personally I do run a fly to the backbox even though it isn't strictly
necessary in my case, because it takes about 30 seconds extra effort.

--
Tim Watts