Posted to uk.d-i-y
george [dicegeorge] george [dicegeorge] is offline

Default Sarking Felt

On 15/07/10 10:23, Rob wrote:
On 15/07/2010 08:12, harry wrote:
On 14 July, 23:08, wrote:
I have had a flue relocated and the tiles have been replaced - but I
am left
with a ragged hole in the sarking felt.

Does it matter - if so, how can I minimise any problems?

It should have been fixed before the tiles were put on. There's not a
lot can be done now. If a tile cracks, water will come in the house.

I thought in such a case it would be preferable to fix the tile?

I've never fully understood sarking felt. Looks like some sort of ease
of constructing a roof expedient to me. If I was the OP I'd leave it and
be happy for the ventilation.

Rob

I think the main use of felt is to stop rain getting in when the
tiles/slates are off, and to stop draughts lifting off the slates/tiles.

But this never happened to my roof when I had no felt.

Felt means theres much less ventilation up there,
so more chance of condensation and woodrot.

But i'm a worrier with little experience.

When did they start felting roofs?
Have people had condensation problems?

There were reports here of condensation in the last very cold winter,
has the moisture cleared from people's attics over the last few warmer
months?

[g]