Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Newton's cradle

Dave Liquorice
wibbled on Sunday 04 July 2010 11:47

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 18:19:18 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

But I would rather not drill into the balls or try to glue things on
them. How can I hold the balls in position?

Not wishing to damage the balls makes things tricky... Getting a ring
of individual rings to stay in the right place under the shocks may
also prove interesting, the rings on the image you linked to show
them displaced...

But people are likely to pull the balls out if they can, and I would
rather have a couple of large rings, one on each side, centered on the
point of impact. I'll have to tie them together somehow.

6 rings sized so that they just meet at four points when placed onto
the surface for the ball? Suspension points taken from opposite
points on one ring, stops the possible twisting problem.

Joining the rings might be fun, how about some netting with a 3/4" or
there abouts mesh? Make into a draw string bag perhaps witha solid
ring to make the "draw string" and provide suspension points.

Tie wraps and a tie gun. Tighten the ties gradually and in a sequence to
keep tension balanced on the rings. The wraps will lie *fairly* flat after
the use of a gun and no-one will be nicking the balls (unless they cut the
wraps).

I'm thinking metal curtain rings to match the balls might be a low effort
method. I'm sure there would be some rings that would suit billiard balls or
similar.

--
Tim Watts