Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default B&Q Macallister sliding mitre saws

Hi,

I'm probably going to get in trouble for even thinking of buying one
but here goes

I can't afford a branded saw, so I was thinking of buying one from
B&Q. Looking at some old posts some people love them, some people hate
them.

From what I can remember someone said that some saws use blades with a
non-standard bore, which makes replacement difficult or expensive.
IIRC the Macallister red eye (from B&Q) was a standard bore, which was
a plus point.

It also had two lasers one for 90 degree cuts and one for 45 degree
cuts? I don't know what you did if you wanted to cut 60 degrees! but
people seemed to think the laser alignment was not very accurate. Can
it be adjusted?

I've been to B&Q and it looks though they are halfway through
replacing these with a new "Macallister laser precision" range. I'm
not sure if these are actually a step backwards. I think they only
have one laser, not two, now but that may not be a big concern?

I can't find anything about these saws online. Why don't b&q put the
specs on their web site or make a special Macallister web site?
Looking at the boxes, I thought the bore size of the blade had
changed. Why would they do this? Is it no longer a standard bore? (I
can't remember what size it was/is, I'll have to read the box again,
next time I go). If so, that's a big disadvantage.

The pricing is strange: some of the smaller saws cost more than the
big ones. Why would that be? I did think a big saw would be more
versatile but I think it weights 20kg and is very bulky to carry
upstairs. I think one post suggested getting a smaller, lighter, one
to carry about. Do you know the weights of any of the others? What is
a good blade size for general purpose use?

I imagine I would mainly use it for skirting board and architrave to
begin with.

Why is B&Q's other own brand performance power, even cheaper?

TIA