Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Pique[_2_] Jay Pique[_2_] is offline

Default Concrete floor over dirt basement?

On Jun 21, 10:16*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 20, 6:55*pm, Jay Pique wrote:

Just bought an 1890 two-story brick house with a stone foundation.
The basement is dirt right now, and I'd like to pour a concrete slab
down there. *There's sufficient cieling height for a 4" slab without
excavating, which I'd definitely prefer not to do. *Do I need a vapor
barrier? *Can I just pour right over the dirt? *I'm just starting to
do my research, so any thoughts or info would be appreciated.

JP

You really ought to have some gravel and a vapor barrier. *But exactly
what you need to do and perhaps can get away without depends on the
historical conditions in the basement. *If you're in arizona and the
basement ground has been desicated hard earth for the past 100 years
you can just pour some concrete on top. *If you're in the SE and the
basement soil is still suitable for crops if you added some lights
then you need the gravel and vapor barrier.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm continuing to research and will likely
post back with more questions. Given that this is a real fixer-upper
I'm definitely going to be hanging out here a bit I'm sure.

JP