Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

"Some Guy" wrote in message ...
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Certification. Medical oxygen has to be certified to a certain
purity, welding does not.

How exactly can compressed oxygen be "impure" ?

Are some oxygen molecules more pure than other oxygen molecules?

The content of bottled oxygen is not 100% pure. It is 99.xxx% pure. That
other tiny amount can be anything in the atmosphere or it can be some
contaminant from the bottle. I used to work with medical oxygen and every
batch had a certification giving the purity.

Or does the Medical oxygen tank look nicer and cleaner than the Welding
oxygen tank?

You pay for that test and the potential liability that goes
along with it.

I think you pay more for medical and aviation O2 because the
consequences can be more expensive if there is a problem with the
product (the product being compressed oxygen).

That is what I just said above.

The product itself is no
more expensive or different or has any additional processing steps done
to it on the basis of it's sale in it's variously-labelled forms.

It has a step that does not have to be taken with welding oxygen.
Certification. O2 tanks have been contaminated in the past. Rare, but it
has happened. Filling my own tanks, I'd not be concerned about using
welding oxygen, but I'm not so quick to grab a tank off the back of a truck
at a job site and start breathing it. If you get the certification with
welding grade, then it is the same. That piece of paper is worth a lot of
money if there ever was a problem.