Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default OT - Decision Process: Replace Timing Belt Now or Wait?

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:15:51 -0700, Pavel314 wrote:
Who decided to replace timing chains with timing belts? I grew up with
cars that had timing chains and they lasted forever.

Hmm, I've had a few Triumphs with chains - the chains were prone to wear,
the drive sprockets were prone to wear, the tensioners were prone to wear
etc. - I don't think they were particularly any more robust than belts;
the only advantage was that you'd often hear them when they started
wearing, so they were unlikely to get to the point where they snapped or
jumped a tooth (replacement interval was 30k miles)

I don't think I've got a belt or chain in the truck - it's just gears
(pushrod engine, so the cam's pretty close to the crank). I suppose they
wear, too...

cheers

Jules