Posted to alt.home.repair
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Faucet Cutoff Valve Hard to Turn

On 6/12/2010 1:59 AM, DD_BobK wrote:
On Jun 11, 5:35 pm, mcp6453 wrote:
On 6/10/2010 9:42 PM, NGDirect wrote:

Reason they are used: Cheap. The original plumber was looking for
something to shut off the water for the period the main water was on
before the sink faucet was installed. Almost intended for single use,
never expected to still be in useable shape years later when they might
be needed for a future maintenance project.

Replace them with some decent ball valve for a few bucks each and they
will last as long as the main faucet.

The problem is, I've never soldered copper pipe. When I get back to the farm,
I'll look them over carefully to see if there is a way to replace them without
soldering.

If there is enough tube sticking out of the wall you can cut off the
bad valves and replace with 1/4 turn angle stops using compression
attachment.

cheers
Bob

I believe there is enough sticking out to do that. We'll see. Thanks.