Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Faucet Cutoff Valve Hard to Turn

On Jun 11, 5:35*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
On 6/10/2010 9:42 PM, NGDirect wrote:

Reason they are used: *Cheap. *The original plumber was looking for
something to shut off the water for the period the main water was on
before the sink faucet was installed. *Almost intended for single use,
never expected to still be in useable shape years later when they might
be needed for a future maintenance project.

Replace them with some decent ball valve for a few bucks each and they
will last as long as the main faucet.

The problem is, I've never soldered copper pipe. When I get back to the farm,
I'll look them over carefully to see if there is a way to replace them without
soldering.

If there is enough tube sticking out of the wall you can cut off the
bad valves and replace with 1/4 turn angle stops using compression
attachment.

cheers
Bob