Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Tile spacers

On 05/06/10 11:20, Stephen wrote:
Quick questions about tiling.

What size spacers are the norm for tiling in a bathroom on the wall
specifically.

For small (10-15cm) tiles, 2mm or so looks good. If the tile has a
bevelled edge, use a thinner spacer than you think you want as the grout
line will appear a mm or so wider.

Also do you have to pull the spacers out after the tiles have set or do they
stay in the wall ?

You can do either. Either use the spacers flat at the corners and make
sure they are pushed well in. Or (what I do more) is to stick just one
leg in between each tile. I pull then out afterwards.

Sometimes, you don't want spacers - if you are trying to correct a
slight error, you may need the tiles fractionally closer. Using a high
grap adhesive (eg BAL Greenstar I find is good, others swear by
Bluestar) then the spacers are almost redundant except as a guide. the
tiles will stay where you put them.

I also love having a self levelling laser line on a pole - set for the
row and work to that.

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.