Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do not buy a Harbor Freight "rock tumbler"

On Sat, 29 May 2010 23:15:43 -0500, Ignoramus6711

On 2010-05-30, Michael Koblic wrote:

So far I am more impressed with the nut shells than with the corn cob. As
far as I can see the corn cob will polish clean brass but will not remove
stains. The treated nut shells removed most but not all the stains, did a
great job polishing the pieces (up to 3") but did little or no deburring
(minor scratches still apparent after about 8 hours).

Well, after appx. 3-4 hours of polishing, corn cob media did remove
stains from old coins (whole layer of oxidation). It did work very
well, just slowly.

The next batch I shall put some steel in the nut shells. What compound do
you use for steel? There is a ton of proprietary compounds out there. I hear
some people just put in a bit of turtle wax. I run the silica with just
water and dish- washing liquid with the predictable result of good cleaning
but flash rusting. I wonder if dumping in a bit of Evaporust would work.

What kind of Brasso are you guys talking about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasso

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.