Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus26467 Ignoramus26467 is offline

Default Do not buy a Harbor Freight "rock tumbler"

On 2010-05-28, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 27 May 2010 21:02:38 -0500, Ignoramus12281
wrote:

But thanks for the links. That Nova 501HT looks a serious
machine. BTW is this where you get your media from? $1.50 +/- per lb
of ceramics is very good. I wonder if they ship to Canada...

I got the media on the cart with the machine at the factory that went
bankrupt. Two half full buckets and a box of ceramic media of various
coarseness, and this vibratory tumbler. I also have some corn cob
media (way too much; anyone wants some cheap?). I was going to polish
a big jar's worth of pennies with the kids this weekend.

Pennies? Then your corncob media is what you want to use. Ceramic
media will give you either badly beaten up but very shiney
pennies..or copper disks with barely visible features on it.

I think that ceramic media would simply grind the pennies to dust.

I have maybe 5 lbs of pennies, it should be fun polishing them.

Frankly..Id use crushed walnut hulls for the job, with a teaspoon of
Brasso tossed into the batch..and checked REGULARLY.

I will see, I think that I will give then an hour with fine corn cob
media.

Gunner, who cleans firearms brass in a vibratory cleaner about 2' in
diameter....with walnut hulls

That's huge! Mine is only 17 inches in diameter.