Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus12281 Ignoramus12281 is offline

Default Do not buy a Harbor Freight "rock tumbler"

On 2010-05-27, Michael Koblic wrote:

"Ignoramus5816" wrote in message
Unless you want it to break after 3 weeks, that is. What a POS. I
bought it to show what rock tubling is, to my kids. I sort of knew
that it is junk, and bought an extended warranty, but all it give me
is the right to get another POS.

I went through the usual labour pains before I decided on mine. Rather than
going the cheap way I splashed out on Thumler's UV10 (Industrial) and so far
I have not regretted it.
BTW do not use cat litter silica crystals wet...or dry for that matter (the
dust is awful).

That is a vibratory tumbler, and mine was a rotary.

I actually do have a vibratory tumbler, called Nova 501HT (see
novafinishing.com). It is not as good for rounding rocks,
however. Otherwise it is great.

http://www.novafinishing.com/products.html
http://www.novafinishing.com/prices.html