Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave H.[_2_] Dave H.[_2_] is offline

Default Generator exhaust through a wall?

"Bill" wrote...

Hi,
having tidied my garage I felt it time to sort out the exhaust from the
generator, up until now it has been on a length of 2" dia steel gas pipe
pointing out through a window!

I'm having some pipe made up to feed through a wall and mounting the
silencer on the outside. All good so far, I hope, but I'm not sure how to
seal the hole in the wall. I would rather not leave a gap around it as
there is a possibility of rain running down the outside of the pipe and
into the wall and garage but what do I seal it with and is it a good move
to do so?

I'd go for a downward slope through the wall, then an elbow pointing the
pipe downwards on the outside - I have faith in Gravity To seal the hole
you could try glass-fibre rope (wrapped around the pipe and packed into the
hole) from the Proper plumbers' merchant / stove shop to avoid draughts, and
a piece of suitably-bent ally sheet over the elbow to deflect the rain?

Another question, does anyone have experience of high temperature paints?
I believe that there is paint that will withstand high temperatures and is
used to paint exhausts. Yes I will go and Google in a minute but 1st hand
experienced comments are always welcomed. The idea being that although it
is impossible to make an exhaust look pretty, maybe possible to make it
look less ugly.

I used to use Sperex VHT enamel, sold for exhaust manifolds, not sure if
it's still available or under the same name - Halfrauds will have similar in
a choice of colours, I'd think. I found that it adheres better if stoved
*before* passing hot exhaust through it, give it a day to dry then pop it in
SWMBO's oven on gas mark 6 or 7 for an hour or two, then open all the
windows to let the stink out before she gets home from the shops

Just my tuppence worth,

Dave H.
--
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

"Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men" -
Douglas Bader