Posted to uk.d-i-y
mo mo is offline

Default Making a door for my garden gate

"Cash" wrote in
:

mo wrote:
I bought 2 large T hinges

Good, that's a start.

Whats the best way to fit them?

With screws - preferably rust-resistant ones - and don't forget to fit
a gate catch as well!

Onto the post first or onto the door first?

Generally you fit them on the "door" first and then the gate jamb.

I have left a bit of space on either side of the door to fit between
the posts.

Now that's a good idea, that'll save you having to initially plane
them to fit - and then it also allows room for the 'door' to swell
during rainy weather.

Mo, I seem to have missed something here, is this an extra to a post
to one that you have made about making a garden gate and want advice
to fit it...or something else?

Now presuming that it's about fitting a T&G garden gate, then make
sure that the hinges are screwed on the ledges (the horizontal bits)
and that any braces (the angled bits) run upwards from the hanging
side to the slamming side to take the downward force of the front of
the gate and prevent it dragging the ground after a while.

Now feel free to give any more information that would get you a
definitive answer

Cash

Yes I am making a garden gate (or door) and just wanted to know how to
fit it. I have bought all the bits and will be putting them together
tomorrow as described above.

http://www.oakdoorsnfloors.co.uk/ima...brace-door.jpg