Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI wall outlet in unfinished basement

I want to add a surface-mounted GFCI outlet on the wall in an
unfinished basement (for a washing machine). The wiring going to the
outlet will be 12/2 NM.

I think I can figure out how to do it if I just use a metal box and
metal conduit. But, I am wondering if there is a way that I can do
it using plastic/PVC instead of metal. I am thinking of using this
type of PVC box:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4FYW1 ,

and then running the 12/2 NM wire down along the wall through
1/2-inch PVC conduit to get to the box.

If I do that, my question is, "Is there some type of fitting or
adapter that goes on the top end of the PVC conduit where the 12/2 NM
enters the PVC conduit?"

Before you do all that, consider that the motor surge of the washing
machine may nusiance-trip the GFCI outlet (same as a refrigerator).

*At my last code update seminar when the new changes to GFI protection
requirements came up, the instructor told us that appliance manufacturers
were now building appliances to higher leakage standards than before.
Nuisance tripping of the garage refrigerator should be eliminated as well as
other major appliances. Also GFI's have been redesigned in the past few
years and you should not have the problems that were a nuisance in the past.

From my own experience I have received calls from customers complaining of
nuisance tripping with appliances. The problem usually turned out to be
with the appliance.