Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Need help repiring rust hole in Weber grill dome

Jim Yanik wrote:
Jay Hanig wrote in
:

On 5/16/2010 12:13 PM, Ron wrote:
Again, can you buy a Weber at Lowes for under $100.00? It's always
easy to tell someone else to spend money, eh?

Yes, I can get a brand new Weber charcoal kettle type grill from Lowes
for under $100. Actually, I can get a new one from them for less than
$90.

I can't figure out how the Weber top "rusted out".
I thought they were aluminum,and also,the top is domed so water runs off
it. I can see the cooking or coal grids rusting out,but you can buy new
replacements.

Plus,if it's aluminum,you could just pop-rivet a patch onto it.
Aluminum doesn't braze or solder easily. Welding thin aluminum is not
easy,either.

Think about it. A container made of STAMPED aluminum holding a charcoal
fire for several hours? Ever seen an aluminum-sided house after a fire?

Webers are made of enameled steel, much like an old speckled-blue coffee
pot.

I'm no expert in aluminum alloys, but the only heat-contact aluminum
parts I have ever seen were cast or spun, not stamped, and much thicker
and harder than any sheet aluminum I have ever seen.

--
aem sends....