Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - frustrated and baffled over garage door springs

On Mon, 17 May 2010 00:13:24 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote the following:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
My overhead garage doors use extension springs. I thought I might
convert to torsion springs and looked on the web for a kit. All I could
find was the springs themselves, and various other parts. No complete
installation package. And I did a LOT of searching - probably 2 hours'
worth.

This is strange - my conclusion is that the installation package comes
with the door (tracks, hinges, rollers, springs, etc) and that's it.
What about if you wanted to build your own door? You'd think that you
could get a kit SOMEWHERE.

It looks like I would have to buy all the parts separately - hoping that
I got ones that went with each other. And, of course, paying a
premium over what a package/kit would cost.

Frustrated and baffled,
Bob

I suspect that you don't see kits for this as typically one piece garage
doors use the extension springs and the sectional doors use the torsion
springs.

Oh, duh! I'd forgotten that the one-pieces were the only kind to use
extension springs. They had no tracks, which are required for
sectionals and torsions. His conversion will be highly unlikely.

It's time for a new door if you want torsion springs, Bob.

--
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our
inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter