Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
DougVL DougVL is offline

Default Oliver 159a

I s'pose now that I'm retired, I don't have much excuse for not learning to
turn inside threads on the metal lathe I've had for about 30 years already.

But I'd still be interested in a cost quote for an adapter to use 1x8
thread chucks on my 1-1/8x8 thread Oliver.

Doug

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
I make faceplates for your lathe, see www.wbnoble.com and click on
"faceplates" - I would NOT rethread that is a really really bad idea - you
can't do it with a die, it won't be accurate - you can single point it on a
metal lathe but even then you will give up rigidity. I can make you an
adapter to 1-8 or to 1.25-8 easily enough. If you really really really
really (....) hate the 1 1/8 spindle, make a new one with 1.25-8 threads.
But, I think unless you have a very high "annoyance" factor with it, just
leave it alone. For the price of redoing the spindle, you can get a
lifetime supply of faceplates.

as for a chuck - if you are using one of those cheap chinese chucks, just
find a friend with a metal lathe and single point it out from 1-8 to 1
1/8-8 - I can do that for you, but so can anyone else with a metal lathe

"DougVL" wrote in message
I have an Oliver too, with the same size thread. It came with a couple
of faceplates, but nothing else.

I've considered rethreading, but it's a pretty serious change. I do
already have several chucks and other things to fit 1x8 thread, from a
Rockwell I used to have. I've looked for adapters, but haven't found
anything.

I've looked into an adapter that would fit into the headstock taper and
be held in with a drawbolt, like a collet in a milling machine. Finding
a Morse taper arbor with a one inch blank end would be handy. I have a
1x8 threading die already.

I bought a couple of 1.125x 8 thread nuts from MSC a while ago for using
in making some kind of adapter. But they fit the spindle threads rather
loosely. I had also considered buying a 1.125x 8 thread tap and
attempting to re-thread my 1x8 accessories or make adapters. But since
the nuts fit so loosely, I've been hesitant to spend the money for the
special tap. (Low income, newly retired, no luxuries in the budget.)

Two of the major (expensive!) brands of chucks are available in Oliver
thread, but they're too expensive for me. It would cost almost as much
as I paid for the lathe (20 years ago)! And I already have a decent
grizzly one - but in 1x8 thread.

Sorry, no solution or definite answer for you, but hopefully an idea that
would help.

Doug

"ZORRO9" wrote in message
I have an Oliver 159a with 1.125x 8 threads and this is an uncommon
size ,as all of my tools are around 1x8.
I would like to ask whether the spindle should be taken down 1x8 or
get an adapter to 1x8.
Thanks