Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default NO DOPE!!! Dope!

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
om...

Bob La Londe wrote:

The thing is Teflon tape can actually prevent the nut of a compression,
flare, or double flare from going on fair enough to cause the connection
seal properly.

It can also stop a leak in the middle of the night, when there are no
24 hour plumbing supply places if you know how to do it.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. The only way
I can see Teflon tape help on a bad compression or flare connection is if
its overwrapped off of the thread and onto the mating surfaces to form a
sort of jacked up gasket. We are going beyond shade tree on that one.

I used it on an out of round compression fitting on a toilet shutoff
valve. It filled the void, and stopped the leak until I replaced the
toilet a year later. The 'plumber' had used too short of a tube and
crimped it before the gland nut was tight enough. I'm not saying to use
it every time, but sometimes it keeps you from being without running
water while you get the right parts.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.