Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_3_] Tim Wescott[_3_] is offline

Default Remember that o-ring groove in that piston?

Bob La Londe wrote:
Well, I tried to assemble the hole thing and the push rod threaded into
my piston crooked... How is that possible I wondered. I did everything
on the lathe. Oh, ****. No I didn't. My mini lathe was too small so I
only center drilled the piston on the lathe. I drilled it on the drill
press. I really need to throw this damn thing away. The table was
tilted side to side. I straightened that today, but found the table is
also slightly tilted front to back. GACK!!! Its not horrible for
punching holes in sheet, but I guess I need to add a mill drill to my
wish list for anything else.

Next time, rough drill it undersized in the press, then bore the hole to
size, with a boring bar in the lathe.

I'm not sure about "too small", though -- unless the tailstock chuck
won't take the drill, you should be able to keep loads light by feeding
slowly.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com