Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default Best 'instant on' CFL bulbs?

On Tue, 04 May 2010 08:05:33 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

I have been using compact fluorescent lamps for many decades. Some
of the older ones were noticeably slow to start, especially the old
glass bulb ones, as are some newer ones.

Correct.

These take time to warm up.
However, despite long and loud assertions from some that it is
impossible, I use Philips and General Electric compact fluorescent
lamps in places like stairs and toilets where rapid light is
necessary. These lamps are not noticeably slow to start.

All a bit empirical that, especially from such a biased source. Please
show us your measurements.

As the
lamps last a long time it is not possible for me to say anything
about the lamps now on sale, the ones on the stairs and in the
toilet are at least a decade old.

Ditto.

The exception is the bottom of the stairs. The SES reflector lamp I
tried there was a little too slow to start (another poster has
explained why), so I replaced it with a LED version.

I use the slower starting lamps in places where a slow startup is
not a problem.

Where do you use the dim ones and what for ?

Derek