Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gluing silicon door seal to steel - sports car

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

For many automotive applications, Sikaflex tend to have the adhesive of
choice.

A good choice, Sikaflex is a polyurethane adhesive/sealant and will
stand up well to the conditions encountered by a vehicle. Silicon
sealant should also work well and has the advantage that it can be
cleaned from bodywork with white spirit (or tar remover) without
damaging paintwork.

A polyurethane adhesive such as Gorilla glue should work but it foams
and is IMO unsuitable for vehicle applications. Sikaflex doesn't foam
and stays where it is put.

I'd found Evostick Serious excellent on a variety of materials around the
car that others barf at. Think it is also a polyurethane glue - but easily
available from your local shed.

Water-based domestic acrylic sealant is the choice of fools.

I'd agree there. Wouldn't even think of trying it.

--
*I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.