Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gib Bogle[_2_] Gib Bogle[_2_] is offline

Default Linseed oil on a fence

I've just made a picket fence, with H3 treated timber (this is treated for above
ground use). I've trying to decide what to apply to it to provide some
additional protection, and also some cosmetic benefits. Our thinking is not to
paint (I know, best protection but more work and presumably cost, also we prefer
the natural wood look). A friend recommends boiled linseed oil. From I've
seen this would probably be the cheapest option, but how good is it? I read an
article that refers to these disadvantages:

*Sometimes linseed oil can take forever to dry... or stays sticky or doesn't dry
at all (not really a problem on a fence)
*No UV (ultraviolet) light resistance... UV causes more damage to exposed wood
than any other factor, destroying wood fibers and setting it up for attack by
mildew, fungus, and insects.
*Linseed oil is mildew food...Linseed oil is not completely denatured, so it can
encourage rather than discourage mildew growth.

Comments? Any other suggestions?