Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Lithium battery disappointment

On Apr 19, 6:35*pm, novel8 wrote:
Bought the Hitachi 18v cordless drill 3 months ago. I used it back
then and all went well. Yesterday i had to just screw a 1 1/2 screw
into my laundry wooden dryier holder...for one of the legs got loose.
i got as far into with the drill till about a 3/8 of an inch of the
screw. I sort of pushed the drill to complete it, but it could not do
so, so i had to finish it with a screwdriver. I then tried to run the
drill and it would not start...The battery was pratically full when I
stopped using it 3 months ago. The manual says to recharge it again.
No timetable for how long. Anyhow I did, the red light came on and
waited about an hour or so when the red light started to flicker on
and off...so i presumed that *the charge was complete, of course the
manual doesn't tell you time, color or whatever. OK, its working
again...is this typical of these batteries? Are they that sensitive
just to try and screw in one screw? I called Hitatchi support and said
it was normal.

Li ion batteries will deliver considerable power until near total
discharge, and then quit flat. As far as charge retention, I have
Milwaukee and Makita Li ion and charge retention has been just fine on
both, although my non-use periods are usually only a few weeks at
most. Seems to me you should read your literature that came with the
charger so you can understand what particular blinking LEDS are
telling you.

Joe